Monday, September 12, 2005

Professional development

Noyce training! Yahoo. Yes I know how weird I am I am thrilled to be able to grow professionally as a teacher. I was offered a position in the Advanced training for writing workshop being presented at Ponderosa this year. I will have 3 days during the year to learn and discuss more about my great love of teaching writing. My kids are beginning to think a little deeper about writing. They are more in charge of the discussions and eager to get their ideas up on the charts that we create. Today's work was on what good writers do after they finish a piece. It was interesting to note their focus on conventions. They have this feeling that writing is about correct spelling, capital letters and punctuation. When I think about how BIG the world of writers' craft is, I want to laugh at this tiny piece that kids focus on. It's definitely what they have heard at home and it's also something they can have control over. If there's a rule for it, they can master it. But this whole idea of making writing come alive for the reader is not so easy for a 7 year old to get a handle on.

No comments: