Friday, September 02, 2005

The PE Teacher

Let me add yet another item to my resume. Not only am I a recent devotee to teaching real art as opposed to my previous arts and crafts instruction, but now it seems that I am also about to become somewhat adept at teaching real PE. Oh yes, I have taught PE before - morning walk/jog around the playground, kickball, basketball, soccer, and other games of the sort. But never have I done the warm-up, stretch, work out and cool down system that I have always known defines healthy physical activity. The 1st and 2nd grade teachers have been in-serviced on a new program that is as easy to use as a Betty Crocker cookbook. So I found lesson #1 in the binder and with the help of Marleas, my PE team leader, assembled my materials and headed for the field. In reflecting on this simple 30 minute lesson I am stunned by the amount of energy it takes to teach something new. I was constantly looking back at my clipboard for what I was going to do or say next. I felt like a brand new teacher again. It was hilarious watching my kids in such a different environment. The more energetic ones release all inhibitions and seem to fly around the designated area. I have already learned that the most important part of PE instruction has nothing to do with muscles, strength or movement. It is incorporating a set of signals for the simple purpose of following directions. My whistle is my best friend!

No comments: