Thursday, September 29, 2005

Parents

The parent piece of teaching is so interesting. Just when I think I'm getting a little better at it I am taken totally by surprise. The student whom I have been trying to get in for testing blew me away today. She popped her head in this morning just to ask if I had gotten the boom box from my wish list and then seemed to want to talk but didn't say anything. So... um.... have a nice day. I didn't have a clue what was going on. Then I walk out to pick up my kids and the SE teacher tells me that she came in and requested testing papers. Huh? OK. I guess that kind of explains her "wanna talk" thing from earlier. I am thrilled that she is trying to do the right thing for her child but surprised at the back door approach. It will certainly simplify things at the conference next week. Then after school the parent of the student who is receiving the Super Star award tomorrow came in and is concerned that perhaps his child didn't deserve it. Huh? His child has totaling internalized the rules and gently reminds others of what they are. And "Dad" is concerned that he is acting like a Kindergarten cop and bossing people around. Again, "Huh." I guess on some level I understand his position but on the other, a teacher loves those kids who can model and remind others of their responsibilities. B may be the sweetest boy I have ever taught. He is kind, helpful, compassionate, loves to talk about his reading and writing and yes, he might grow up to be a cop someday.

No comments: