Friday, September 16, 2005

The Essential 55

I am currently in the midst of reading The Essential 55. It is a focus at Sutter this year so I'm playing a little catch-up. I actually flipped through this book a year or so ago and just thought it was a lot of hype. I need to have "meat" if I'm going to actually spend my hard earned money on a book. It is an interesting read. It's pretty much the way I was raised but the little stories that go along with each "rule" are interesting. I have had the aha that the fallout of two (over)working parents, single parent families, oober scheduled kids is that the rules of society have fallen by the wayside. My favorite rule to date is when someone asks you a question in conversation, you return the favor. It is interesting when you start observing humans in action. How many times do you ask someone - child or adult, How is your day? and get the answer Fine, great, sucky, whatever and he/she walks on by. These "rules" all seem to be part of how human beings interact with one another respectfully that just isn't demanded or even expected anymore. Yes... it is just one more thing to add to the list of what to teach but it will make the difference between our kids being respected, appreciated and employed in their lives that lie before them.

No comments: