Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Follow up to parent/teacher thing

So, this morning the mom of yesterday afternoon's conference came in. I have probably already met with her 4 or 5 times as she stops by on the way to Day Care with one thought or another to share with me about her son. However, we had actually scheduled this meeting so we could go over the SCORE documents. She made reference to Dad's visit and agreed that things were not going well. We chatted for a bit and then it happened. The barrage of questions. Do you think he might have ADD? Do you think he might have a learning disability? Should we have him tested? All that morning time I have sacrificed with her has been worth it. What she doesn't know is that we had already scheduled an SST for the middle of October thinking that would give me enough time to assess, document and conference. It was definitely a relief to hear those questions come at me. The cutest part was when I told his 1st grade teacher. It is just another example of how teachers plant seeds but rarely get to harvest. She talked and talked and talked to the family last year about testing, ADD, and learning disabilities and got nowhere. I just chat with the lady a few times, console the dad and suddenly the fruit ripens before your very eyes. So I am hopeful for BR. It could be a great year for the entire family. They will need lots of support in facing the realilty of the child that they are raising. Some lost dreams will be mourned but others will be born. I only hope that they can accept him for the beautiful child he is, see the gifts he has to offer us and know that the world will be a better place because he has called us to see how easy it is to be kind and loving and how important it is to find time everyday just to play.

No comments: