Saturday, December 05, 2009

Words are useless

I am in the midst of watching Joseph Campbell on DVD with Bill Moyers. He hits my greatest challenge of language right on the head. The things that are most important to us, the best things in life, those that transcend us can't be named. We are unable to talk about them. There are no words that can communicate what is a thought or feeling which is beyond our physical being. So when I attempt to write about feelings that run deep in my heart like the deep abiding love I have for my children or the passion I have for my profession, I am left wanting. When I talk about the more emotional events in my life, I often say, I don't have words for it yet. And I really don't. But I continue to attempt to define it. I have to learn to be content with saying, I don't have words for it. And now I can add, this is one my best things in life, it transcends both me and words.

No comments: