Saturday, December 19, 2009

Dear Santa

This week my son asked me for a Christmas list. My first reaction was that I didn't really want anything. I had everything I needed. But then, of course as I thought about it I was able to come up with quite a variety of things - there's my Amazon wish list, Italian pottery, those cute little yellow dishes I have my eye on at Sur La Table, and of course the predictable sweater or pajamas that is always on my wish list.

The whole wish list idea stuck in my head and I started thinking about things I really want.

Dear Santa,
I know that you are busy fulfilling all the Christmas wishes of the good little boys and girls in the world. But I'm a little worried about the other 364 days for our children. Perhaps you and the elves could look into a few other areas. Here is my Christmas wish list for 2009.

World Peace
I am one of those products of the 60's that is always dreaming of world peace. I have read enough that I understand the psychology as well as the politics of the necessity of war but I refuse to accept it. Perhaps we could just start with the absence of war and see where we can go from there.

A society that values children
I am constantly appalled at the lack of attention that is given to our youngest members. We open their minds to violence, sex, and greed at lower and lower ages. Too many parents are overworked with no energy left for raising children so the kids are left on their own. There are no longer advocates for our babies that are growing up way too fast. And yet we are shocked that they are committing unfathomable crimes and we are left with no option but to try them as adults.

Clean air and water
As I said, I am a child of the 60's and this is more residue. We are making progress in this department but there is still a long way to go. We need to start functioning in the day to day with our grand children's and great grand children's lungs in mind. I want Baby Girl to enjoy the wilderness as much as her Grandma Tere does. I want her to have the pleasure of eating fresh tomatoes and strawberries grown in her backyard for her own children.

I want our parks to stay open. I want the homeless to have jobs, food, clothing and shelter. And while I am it, I want world hunger to end. I want people to respect one another; to just be nice. I want an end to racism and gender discrimination.

Now, here is what I will be giving for Christmas this year:
Warmth - both physical and emotional
Smiles
Laughter
Love - the unconditional kind
The sound of Christmas music
Kitchen smells that will seep into the heart to be reborn again and again
Pumpkin bread, fudge, spiced nuts, and red velvet cake
A chance to create new family memories around our Christmas Eve dinner table
Total commitment to living in the moment so I can enjoy each one deeply and completely.
A promise to let the Christmas spirit live long into January and maybe even a bit longer.

Santa, I'll do what I can to be the change in my little corner of the world. And as you're out spreading the Christmas spirit maybe, just maybe, 2010 together we'll begin to grow the dream of becoming the best that we can be.

Merry Christmas, Santa. Enjoy the cookies and milk.
Love,
Tere

No comments: