Wednesday, August 02, 2017

The Impact of Population

Throughout the years as the population would ebb and flow in Santa Clara, it was clear to me that my quality of life was directly impacted by the number of people who resided in the area.  It had its greatest effect on the commute traffic of which I always refused to become a part.  But it was impossible to completely avoid.  On weekends, it would alter the entire experience of where you might go - the movies, art and wine festivals, or just going to dinner.  Depending on where you were going and how many other people would be attending, you would either shorten the visit or make plans in advance as to when you would leave and when you would return.  I knew this was an issue because at various times, I would shout out, "There are just too many  people here!"  It was always a part of your consciousness - If I go "there" when do I need to leave, how crowded will it be, what will be the line in the sand on when I will leave.  It's one of those things that I knew was impacting my life but I had no idea how much.  Now that I am living in a much lighter density area I find myself constantly being tripped up by it and always pleasantly surprised.  So  I am not only adjusting to the slower pace of life here but also retraining my brain to eliminate all that self talk of "it will be too crowded, maybe I won't go..."  It is a great reminder for me to just enjoy the moment.  So no matter what time it is or what day it is, give it a shot.  However, that being said, if there's an accident on the freeways in Portland, all bets are off.  Stay home or go north!

No comments: