Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Raising Kids

I did know going into this adventure that I would have a feeling now and then that I was raising kids rather than teaching them. There is one in particular where that is definitely true. She comes to me every day and is here from 8:30 until 5:45. That is a long day for a little kid to be away from home. Now factor in the idea that this little darling goes to bed at 8 and gets up around 7. She is definitely mine more than Mom and Dad's. Add to this that about once a month Mom and Dad also have me babysit while they out for some fun of their own. In the last week, there have been several instances that have made me smile but then I feel so incredibly sad for this sweet sweet girl. She knows my refrigerator like it is her own. She often accidentally calls me mama or grandma. She takes off for the outdoors on her own exactly like Callie does. Those are all "cute" things. But tonight my heart almost broke. Each day I fill out a family communication form so the parents know the big events of the day. Dad was reading through it and stopped at the phrase "Good jumping today." We've been working on this off and on for a few weeks. Evidently this was unknown to Dad. His response was, "She can jump?" So sad. So very sad. I never had to make the daycare decision until my kids were in 5th and 6th grade. By then, that decision just meant before and after school care at school. I can't imagine what it is like to leave your child in the hands of another person for most of the day and somehow trust, truly trust that this person will do what I would do. This little darling who comes to me every day for 9 hours a day 5 days a week makes me take my job very seriously. And now that responsibility has taken on even more importance. I am mom and teacher and babysitter all rolled up into one while she is in my home. I sure hope that I am doing it right.

No comments: