Saturday, November 26, 2011

The end of an era

For many years I have been trying to hold on to my own childhood memories of Thanksgiving and reinact them at my dining room table. I guess for most of those years I have been fairly successful. But it is clealy time for me and my memories to step aside and allow the next generation to make the family Thanksgiving celebration whatever it is destined to become. I took Thanksgiving away from my mother-in-law a few decades ago and demanded that it be the one holiday a year that we spend together as a family of four. I have no regrets in doing that. But I would rather give the holiday to my kids than have it taken from me. We are now a family of 7 and soon to be 8. I know Dave and Britt would like to do something different and it's possible that Maria and Bill may want to have their own family celebration. So I have most likely cooked my last turkey dinner. And I'm actually fine with it. I won't miss the stress of orchestrating all those dishes being warm at the same time nor making gravy that is golden and smooth. So let change take its course and take each of us where we will sit at table with smiling faces and grateful hearts. Memories of Grandma Allen's dinners will always be a part of who I am and every Thanksgiving celebration that is yet to be.

No comments: