Friday, May 15, 2009

A New Crop of Teachers

It was my pleasure to attend the convocation of my student teacher from last year today. I have to say that I was pretty amazed to see the number of graduates fill all of those chairs that were set aside. If that isn't the embodiment of hope, I don't know what is. Almost 200 people in just one university are choosing to dedicate their lives to the children of our valley. The pay isn't great and the hours are horrendous. It must be love.

The dean of the department talked about the number of lives the newly credentialed teachers will effect in just their first year. One of of these days I'll have to sit down and do the math of how many students I have taught to date. I'm sure it will be a shocking number and will stun me into once again checking my smart mouth at the door.

I was struck by something else while I was there witnessing this celebration. It was the look of pure happiness on each and every face. This was not a room full of traditional 23 year olds who had the feeling of finally finishing their college careers and were now ready to live their lives. There were many 2nd and 3rd career destined graduates in the group but the look remained the same. It was a glow that transcended anything physical and had to come from deep inside the heart. It was the look of unadulterated hopefullnes, the belief in the the future and the knowledge that whatever life had in store would be the answer to their prayers. Teachers do what they do for tomorrow not today. It is the same trust of a garderner who plants seeds and sends forth the hope of what could be. These graduates clearly believe that this profession which has its big toe in tomorrow is what they have dreamed of for so long. It is so refreshing to see that the dream is still alive.

No comments: