Sunday, May 10, 2009

Its Just A Number

I took part in a lovely little walk in the park this weekend. The weather was perfect and it was a very enjoyable outing with the staff of our middle school. I was given a number to wear just as you would be in any other organized walk/run. But we quickly noticed that these were just a little different. This group had decided to include the runner's age. I am not a person who focuses on her age so I looked down and quickly attempted to do the math. Things didn't add up. I just kept looking at the number. 64? Huh? Clearly there was a mistake but the number stuck in my head. I couldn't seem to let it go. Wow! I look pretty good for 64! Then I started thinking about me at the real 64. What would I look like, would I still be registering for 5 and 10K walks? I could only go there if I thought about the me 10 years in the past. As I thought back it all came screeching into my memory. That was not a good year. At this point in the year, I would have been separated for 8 months, in the process of selling the house and preparing for a move to Texas to put myself back together again. I've come a long way since then. Who knows what lies in store for me in the next 10 years? Yes, my age is just a number but 64 sounds a lot older than 54. It is good that we just take them one year at a time.

No comments: