Sunday, April 19, 2009

Finding What You Need

There has been something big missing from my life over the past many months. One of the things that I know about myself is that I find my spirit in wide open spaces. Hiking is a necessity for me. It is my church, my refuge, my sanctuary. It changes me. I need to be out in the woods to feel better about the world. In looking back over my calendar this school year, it is a missing item. Some things have taken its place - breakfast or lunch with friends, Sunday walks in the park and, sad to say, lesson plans. I am taking a stand here and now. No more weekend lesson plans! I need to get back to nature.

Today I found myself at Edgewood County Park to enjoy the wildflowers. This is an annual trek for me and it usually happens during spring break. There are lots of places where you can see poppies and larkspurs and violets but Edgewood is always a sure bet. It did not disappoint today.

The funny thing about hiking is the minute my foot hits the trail I am changed. Feeling dirt under my feet instantly sends a jolt of energy throughout my body and relaxation to my brain. All thinking about school, house, money or any other senseless worry is instantly removed from my thought processes. What takes its place is simple awe of the beauty around me - the endless deep blue sky, textures of rock formations, hills and valleys that lead my feet ever forward anxiously seeking what is around the next bend. If only I could live my day to day life with that curiosity and wonder. The amazing combinations of colors of wild flowers is such a sight to behold. The yellow and purple floral blankets that are created by viewing them from a distance are almost as beautiful as the close up of the individual blossom. It's that reminder not to forget to keep in balance the wide view as well as the zoom perspective of our existence. There is beauty in both.

Today I was also entertained by the people I encountered on the trail. Each group has its own identity and leaves its print on you whether its a connection to a memory of the past or something you've never encountered before and you just say hmm.... as it passes by. The trail runners can be friendly and courteous as you make room for them or they may not even know you were ever there. The family groups are fascinating. I saw a mom telling her kid that in only 5 more minutes the "hard" part would be over. The child simply stopped in the middle of the trail, glancing at an overhanging limb covered with moss and said "What a cool tree!' We are so busy getting kids through the hard parts that we miss what is here in front of us in this moment. Then there was the family who was hiking along and the 7 or 8 year old boy had lagged behind and was off the trail inadvertently crushing plants as he attempted to walk as slow as is humanly possible. I think I've seen that boy somewhere before. He was sending a message loud and clear and Mom just said, "Hurry up Andrew!" But my favorites of the day were 2 separate couples one a dad and grown daughter and the other a husband and wife. In the first case the dad wanted to know if there were open fields up wildflowers up ahead. I reassured him that, yes indeed, there were while the daughter tried to avoid the uphill trek by telling him that "This was fine. I don't need to see anymore." The final scenario was the wife asking me "Is it up ahead?" to which the husband in his drippiest voice said, "What do you mean IT? This is it." I chatted with them for a moment about the importance of the journey but I don't think she was buying it.

I am grateful to live here in this amazing place filled with so many hiking opportunities. As our California fees and taxes escalate I am reminded of the reason I will never leave. I can't imagine my life with out the things we are given at no expense - sunshine, blue skies, the myriad of shades of green held in distant hillsides, golden poppies and the dirt beneath my feet.

No comments: