Friday, November 18, 2005

TGIF

I feel a little too tired to post and not quite tired enough to sleep so I guess I'll give posting a shot. Here is my aha for the day. Some of my issues in the classroom are kid related. Although I love my class we do have some issues with transitions and everyone following directions. It occurred to me today that perhaps the reason we are 5 minutes late for every recess and lunch is not because I can't get my act together but because there are about 5 kids who are on their own time frame. They can't seem to put anything away, drag themselves to the carpet or even look at the person who is speaking. Time to back up and punt. I have changed my schedule again for the umpteenth time - not easy to do when coordinating with vision assistance, science lab, library, computer lab and PE. Yes I do realize that today is the end of the first trimester. I just refuse to give up on trying to make things work. So as a result, my Friday PE just flew out the window in exchange for science/social studies. Today we did the end of a 2 period jigsaw on the "first Thanksgiving." It was nice to deal with a little curriculum meat. But I have to admit I really missed PE. No, it wasn't the exercise, it was just being outside. At the end of the day I just felt like something was missing. No sunshine! And there won't be PE on Monday either. Time to get ready for the Holiday Performance. When I taught 1st grade I always thought it would be better to do the December performance rather than the spring one because the kids were out of it anyway. I will try to remember that in the next few weeks. I am proud to announce that as I worked on my lesson plans today, I actually cut things out of our upcoming 2 day week rather than try to fit things in. No homework, no spelling, no daily language or math practice. Maybe I'll be able to teach a little money after all. Which leads to a confounding question? Why do kids today have so much trouble counting money? As I child I loved taking out my money and counting it over and over again. But perhaps these kids don't have piggy banks. They probably get theirs in the form of $20 bills from the ATM machine. Sad. Next on the agenda is telling time. A kindergarten dad leaving daycare stopped by with his child the other day asking if they could interrupt me to use our classroom clock to "tell time" on. How long before analogs are completely obsolete? Will anyone know the meaning of time without the hour and minute hands? OK. I'm fried. When I start writing about things lost it's time for bed.

No comments: