Tuesday, March 05, 2019

My Spiritual Home

While at a recent visit back to San Jose, I made one of my usual stops.  It is the stop  that always reminds me that I am OK.  No matter where I am on my spiritual journey, a visit to mass at the Santa Clara Mission on the Santa Clara University campus brings me home.  This time I took the opportunity to ask why.  Many things go into that answer.  First and foremost, it was my introduction to Catholicism which I think defines my continued place in this complicated religion.  I was accepted with open arms completely and wholly with my Presbyterian background.  The liturgies are all led by university professors so they are always on the academic end of the spectrum.  The homilies are thought provoking and connected to our present reality.  They  make me think deeper, beyond my simple thoughts.  It's clearly the reason why my move to the northwest and subsequent search for church has been so difficult.

The welcome to this place did not end with my confirmation.  It was the only place that I believed welcomed me back following my divorce.  Divorce does not end Catholicism - technically it is only when you remarry.  But worshipping in my parish church was simply too uncomfortable for  me to continue seeing myself as a "good" Catholic.  I felt that everyone was looking at me, remembering that I was divorced, and then questioning how I could be there.  I knew it wasn't true and that it was all part of my regret or shame of my failed marriage but nonetheless, it was real.  Walking into the Mission was always one of welcome.  I felt safe.  I felt loved.  I felt Catholic.

This place mirrors the people you see in silicon valley neighborhoods.  They are young and old, black and white and brown and everything in between.  It is a such a simple exercise of answering the Jesuit call to  see God in all those we meet.  We share the peace of Christ with people who look nothing like the image in our mirror.  We smile and give thanks for this simple exercise of universal love.

The music is good.  As each song ends you are left with that reflection - that was good.  It enhances the worship.  Once again this is a product of being on the Santa Clara University campus.  The music department is a vital part of the picture.  The final song leaves you feeling complete and ready to once again face the real world.  You carry with you the love, the acceptance, and the new deeper understanding of the message of God's love.  This place will always be home.


The Mission

Always one of my favorite views during mass.

No comments: