Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Changes in This New Lifestyle

Although I know this feeling of an empty calendar in retirement won't last, I am definitely aware of changes.

The first is sleep.  I'm still struggling in that department because of the early sunrises here in Vancouver.  But I finally wake with little on my mind.  The worry and anxiety of the upcoming day is gone.  It is a welcome relief.

It has been a long time since I have had the availability to read the paper.  I am enjoying it.  Many retired people have recommended doing the daily crossword puzzle to keep the brain functioning so I am also doing that.  As a result my days have a very late start.

I've discovered some joy in drinking beer.  I'm sure it's just summer in the air and the wide variety and availability here.  But I'm fascinated by the notion of growlers and "take out" beer.  And if you can really make a beer that tastes like Peanut Butter Latte,  I'm interested.

The daily walk has gone from an hour to 2 hours.  There are so many trails here to try out.  And they are all so incredibly beautiful.  It is green, all kinds of green and they all have water.  A  Californian in the midst of green and WATER is something to behold.

Time.  Time to follow up on home maintenance phone calls.  Time to schedule Dr. appointments.  Time to sit and enjoy conversations over a glass of wine.  Time to sit in the park and listen to music.  Time to converse with cashiers.  Time to just be.  There are many times when an hour or 2 has passed and I have no idea what I've been doing.

The return to hobbies - gardening, reading, exploring (my new word for travel).  I am the director of my healing.  I know what I need each day when I wake up and I have the availability and power to do it.  It is what reminds me on a daily basis that this is right.  This was the right thing to do and the right time to do it.

No comments: