Friday, February 21, 2014

Another Fall

Those of you who know me as a runner know that my greatest fear is of falling.  It's not about the fall, it's the fear of hurting myself, really hurting myself and bringing an end to this wonderful little hobby I have discovered.  As the title implies there has been a second fall.  This one has only left me with irritation and frustration.  I was running with the Running Club at school and one of the kids cut in front of me.  From then on there was no stopping what happened next.  Once everyone (including me) recovered from the shock of seeing Ms. Allen on the ground, we all tried to carry on.  Had I known what was going to be the end result, I might have made a different decision and called for a replacement or just headed back to school.  4 miles and a very sore foot later I headed right for the freezer and an ice bag.  I have diagnosed myself with a stress fracture.  The top of my foot remains swollen so I am off running, walking and most of my shoes are also off limits.  I'm not that good at forgiving but I am slowly giving up the blame game and just dealing with the situation as it is.  I am sad that I will not be able to fulfill my Wounded Warrior February goal of 100 miles.  I made the 80 mile mark with still a week to go.  Everyone thought it was a done deal.  But it just wasn't to be.  Maybe next year…  In the meantime, I will ice and rest and take a little ibuprofen now and then waiting for the day that I can walk evenly balanced on both feet again.

No comments: