Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Lovely Mother's Day

I am in an amazing place in life.  My children appreciate me for who I am.  They respect what I have done and what I am doing.  Many people live their whole lives without coming to that point.  I just had one of my best Mother's Days ever. 

I started the day by crying through a blog post of my daughter's.  She said everything any mother would wish for her child to say as she became a mother herself.  The funny thing to me is that I distinctly remember watching her as a new mom 2 years ago and thinking that she is so much better at this than I ever was!  It's all in the perspective. 

I met my son for coffee and we had a great conversation.  It is so good just to have time to sit and talk.  We talked about school and work and relationships and movies and politics.  Those are the talks I love.  They flow in and out and when you're done, you say, that was good. Later in the day, I received a delivery of a fruit arrangement from him.  So thoughtful and delicious. 

I spent the afternoon in one of my favorite places in the world - Central Park in Santa Clara.  It is full of mothering memories for me.  What better place to be on Mother's Day than with your child and grandchildren in the place that you loved as a mom?  We picnicked, walk around the pond, and hung out in the playground while Callie played.  An amazing afternoon. 

My heart is full as I write this.  Mother's Day hasn't always been my favorite day on the calendar.  Some of them have been hard - that's the only word for it.  But this one was definitely a good one.  I am loved.  I am respected.  I am appreciated for all that I have done.  That feels good.  I am thrilled that my children are able to say thank you and that I am in a place where I can graciously accept it and know that we are all better when we take the time to speak what is in our hearts.  I'm not a fan of these "Hallmark Holidays" but I am grateful that it gives us the opportunity to say I love you.  

No comments: