Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Happy Birthday Grandpa

March 2 is the birth date of 2 wonderful men, Dr. Seuss and Don Allen. Every year for my grandfather's birthday I write him a letter sharing how important he is to me. This year has been a challenge. For one thing, I've been doing this since he turned 95 and now at a whopping 103, I have run out of themes and metaphors. My heart is still full of love and gratitude for this amazing man but somehow the words haven't come together as nicely this time around as they have in the past. But, nonetheless, here is the current edition.

Happy Birthday Grandpa! Those have become three of my favorite words. But of the three words, of course, the best is Grandpa! The word Grandpa has become synonymous with love. Just saying the word increases my heart rate, I get a little light headed and I feel warm and fuzzy all over. It brings to mind the endless number of memories I have of you, starting from my first few years of life up to and including today.

As your birthday approaches my mind and heart merge as one and I begin thinking love. Months in advance travel plans and arrangements are made to leave my home and classroom behind. All I can think about is how lucky I am that I have one more chance to celebrate your birthday. The thought of Grandpa’s Birthday Hug overpowers almost any obstacle.

There can never be enough of your birthdays for me. I no longer think about your age or the idea that you are getting older. It is just another number that is added on each year and another chance for me to be in your loving presence. I believe that you are with us here today because we all still need you. We are simply not ready to let you go. I, for one, am still learning the secrets of life from you. My most recent venture into egg production has made that abundantly clear. You were one of my primary sources of information about raising chickens and it turned out that, once again, you were the expert. You beat out every chicken internet website and California urban farmer that I spoke to. Your words to me when my chickens laid their first eggs in the dark days of late December will forever ring in my ears. “Tere, you’ve got to learn to listen to me.” Yes, Grandpa, you’re right, I do need to remember to listen to you. You still have so much teaching to do and I am still that little girl, looking up into your eyes, knowing that your words are some miraculous combination of love and wisdom all wrapped up into one. Your stories, your advice and your wisdom continue to guide me. I am honored and blessed to still be learning from you and loving every minute of it. And today, I have the great pleasure of giving you your 103rd birthday hug.

1 comment:

BrittBratt said...

Awwww this is amazing Tere. Thanks for sharing it. It reminds me of how I felt with my grandpas. Really makes me miss them both. Hopefully I'll make it out to Arizona sometime soon or lure my Grandpa Frank out here. If you think my mom is a laugh wait until you meet her dad >_<