Monday, August 09, 2010

Gardening with Joan

Several years ago a much beloved teacher left this earth after a long and valiant fight against cancer. She was the impetus behind a school garden and when she died, the garden was dedicated to her with a promise made that her seeds of love and learning would forever be planted. On several occasions I have worked in the garden to keep it going and every time I have had the same feeling. It is the closest I have come to being in communication with those that have crossed over. I feel her loving warmth, see her smile, and hear her raucous laughter. I know that she is watching over that garden and that I am her hands on earth.

I happened to be at the school last week and my heart absolutely broke when I saw the garden overrun with weeds and runaway poppies. State flower or not, poppies can be as deadly as dandelions when left untended. As the days went by, I couldn't get the vision of Joan's garden out of my mind and I knew I had to do something about it. So my final Sunday of summer vacation was spend hanging out in the garden with Joanie. There is nothing better that I could have done with that morning than weed and haul and plant and water.

Not only did I get to be in the company of Joan but I was also reminded of the fun of being around an elementary school. It is the center of the neighborhood. It's where everything happens on the weekends - soccer and baseball games, family picnics, walkers and runners getting their workout. Dads bring their kids here to play catch and teach them to ride bikes with and without training wheels. You can't help but smile watching men nurture their children and pass on their life lessons.

Joan, I thank you for the lessons you taught me in our time together and I am eternally grateful that our relationship continues on in the dirt of the garden. I promise that your seeds of love and learning will always be planted for the children who never had the joy of meeting you but who will know you in your blooms that live on.

No comments: