Monday, March 01, 2010

Happy Birthday Grandpa 2010

Happy Birthday, Grandpa,
Here you are at 102 and still counting. Amazing! That is the only word that comes to mind. I have been amazed by you for my entire life. Yet still when I think of you today, that is the one word that comes to mind, amazing. It is amazing that you have accomplished the things you have, that you have loved each of us as deeply and unconditionally as you have and that you have lived life so simply and completely in the process. It is a model I continually strive to imitate.

Today, more than ever I find myself thinking of how to be more like Grandpa. In a few weeks, I too will bare the title of grandparent. And you, once again are my model. My earliest memories of you are those of pure love and happiness. They are smiles, and hugs, and laughter. The memories don’t include events or places; it was enough just to be with you. We shared little jokes that made me feel like I was special. You and I would just laugh and laugh at nothing in particular. Your arm around me was all I ever needed, even in the worst of times. My childhood memories are full of you. Then, as now, I just loved being in your presence. But the strange thing is that all six of your grandchildren felt the same way. You made every one of us feel loved and wanted and one-of-a-kind. You had a way of somehow knowing who we were at our very core long before we knew ourselves. The time you spent with each of us made a difference that lives on today. Not only do we carry forth your love inside of us, but it also becomes the seed that is planted in the future generations as we, your grandchildren, now attempt to follow your example as grandparents.

So as I consider my new role as grandma and following your example, here is my list of things to do:

Smile that “Grandpa” smile
Hug, hug again and then hug some more
Laugh at nothing at all; it will be the glue that holds us tight
Tinker together
Remember that good-byes should always last a long time
Listen and understand and never, never judge
Be a safe place to fall; no matter what happens, everything will be OK if Grandma is there

These are the grandparent lessons I have learned from you; smile, hug, laugh. You have always been that safe place for me where I knew I was loved in that one-of-a-kind way. I can’t wait to hold my own granddaughter in my arms the same way that you held me. If I learned my lessons well, someday there will be a little girl telling everyone she knows all about her amazing Grandma Tere.

Happy birthday, Grandpa!

No comments: