Thursday, March 22, 2018

My Search for Church, Continued...

Dear followers of my search for church,
As most of you know, for me, the most difficult transition to the Pacific northwest has been looking for my church home.  Many people tried to warn me that Catholic in northern California is not Catholic in Oregon and Washington but I didn't truly understand that until recently.  I have tried out almost every parish in Vancouver and northeast Portland.  In the process I  have learned things about Catholicism that have come as a bit of a surprise.  While on  this search, many factors came into play that I never had to consider in San Jose.  How far am I willing to drive for a good homily?  How do I become part of a community that is 15-20 miles away?  Can I become part of a community living out the letter of the law vs the spirit of the law? I thought I had come to terms with all of this at Christmas and joined my local parish.  That did not work out as I had predicted.  I almost joined another parish before I started looking outside the Catholic church.  That move didn't fare very well either.  All the while this was going on, I was attending a few events and services at my sister's Presbyterian church and meeting some pretty admirable people.  I'm sure you now know where this story is going...  This week I swore to deny evil and serve Jesus back in the religion in which I was baptized and confirmed many decades ago.  On Easter Sunday, I will be publicly introduced as a member of the community.  I know that in my heart, part of me will remain Catholic but First Presbyterian definitely meets my current needs of spiritual formation and serving the poor.  I have learned not to say this is the end of my religion quandary here in the northwest but it is where the Holy Spirit has led me thus far.  I deeply appreciate all your prayers and conversations about this topic.  Now, on with the journey...

No comments: