Sunday, March 17, 2013

Making Me Better

I am constantly looking in to determine my state - where I am at this moment in life - and whether or not I am all that I can be.  I am a perfectionist even though I don't really believe in perfection.  But I do desperately want to be the best that I can be.  There are some things in life that I know make me better.

Eating healthy - my constant battle that I am trying to win on my own terms before the medical profession steps in

Running - it is like flying to me and I want to do it as long as I can

My granddaughters - they make me smile at absolutely nothing and everything

Feeding my spirit - reading, praying, meditating

Surrounding myself with positive forces and eliminating those that weigh me back into the quagmire of self-doubt and negativity.  For me this is people.  I love being surrounded with positive people and those who have a perspective on the world that it is half full.

The other side of this coin is eliminating things that don't make me better and that, is more and more becoming people, as well.  I can't handle being around the nay sayers, the poor me's or the all about me's.  I'm a happy person but not happy enough to lift up the sad ones.  So that means I must leave them behind.  I can't afford to waste my thoughts or energy on being frustrated by their actions, words or even their mere presence in my life.  This is much easier said than done.  Those thoughts have a way of creeping back in and I tend to welcome them like an old friend.  And then suddenly I realize I'm not sleeping, I'm force feeding myself sugar and carbs to soothe the pain and I'm questioning my decisions, both past and present.  No more.  I have the power to change those thoughts by simply thinking new ones.  No more rain clouds darkening my blue skies.  No more worrying over things and people that I can't change.  In the words of Buddha, "We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."  That's what I'm talkin' about!

No comments: