Sunday, October 21, 2012

Life List: Hot Air Balloon Ride

This item on the life list is most likely the thing that started it all.  A little more than 18 years ago I had the notion that I would like to celebrate my 40th birthday by riding in a hot air balloon with my family.  There was only one problem; no one in my family was willing to join me.  So for the past 18 years it has been both a point of sadness and a dream.  Well, it seems that my children did not forget.  My son and his girlfriend purchased a groupon thing for a hot air balloon ride in Santa Rosa for my birthday.  A couple things happened and the universe moved things in alignment so I would just happen to be in the Santa Rosa area this past weekend.  That is a separate post to come!

The balloon ride was absolutely everything that I thought it would be - quiet, peaceful, that sensation of floating in air.  But this little venture had an added bonus.  The company included every aspect of ballooning in the package.  We were there, and could be a part of it all from beginning to end.  We watched them inflate the balloon and heat the air, tip the basket up and launch it.  We also saw how the balloon was deflated and packed away for the next day.  I don't know if everyone would want that included in their hot air balloon ride, but for me, who had waited so long for this to happen, it was an added bonus.  

No comments: