Saturday, July 31, 2010

Brithday Gratitude

My birthday has always been a day of gratitude. As a small child, the day was completely dedicated to me. That was really something in a family of 6 and I have never forgotten the importance of having a day that was all mine to do with as I pleased. To this day, my birthday is one of my favorite days of the year, second only to Thanksgiving. It turns out that the two days are more closely related than I would have thought. My birthday has always been a day of gratefulness. As a child it was getting what I wanted to eat for dinner, those beautifully wrapped presents, family time and of course, cake! As I aged, the feeling of blessed began to appear until today that is what the whole day is all about. I start my day reading my cards and e-mail messages and am reminded of my love for the written word. Love put into words becomes eternal. The rest of the day cannot compare to that simple event of just opening myself up to receive love from my family and friends. As the hours tick by I find myself looking back on my life lived and forward to whatever is to be. It is just a wonderful feeling to stop and ponder all that I have been given. This year the feeling has intensified to the nth degree. I am just in a wonderful place in time. I still have no wealth in monetary measure but am I ever rich. Callie has opened up brand new hopes and dreams for all that is yet to be. I love watching Maria and Bill parent and talk about parenting. My relationship with Dave has never been better. Nothing can compare with the laughs we have had in the past few months. I am reminded of how lucky I am to have my parents in my life as well as my grandfather. Not many people have the chance to follow their life guides this far on the journey. I just feel like I have it all. I live in a perfect climate, have great friends with all I can eat right outside my back door. I just can't imagine a life better than mine. Today is a day of gratitude. Thanks, Mom and Dad for giving me life and leading me to this point. I am a very happy woman.

1 comment:

Nadine said...

You've made us proud, daughter. Just glad we could give you such good memories from your childhood and the character to appreciate the blessings you have.