Saturday, January 23, 2010

Analyzing Hope

A new question has arisen. From whence does hope come? How do we give birth to it, grow it and somehow sustain it indefinitely? Why are some people filled with it while others seem to be left with none? I used to label teachers as positive or negative but now I see it is something much deeper. We who live in hope are those who believe that kids and their parents can change and those who seem to be without hope have become calloused to the miracles, the big ones and the little ones that simply start with today.

I have a student who I have been with for 3 years now and yet I remain ever hopeful. There is no way I can explain that except to say that that is why I do what I do. How could I possibly do this job day in and day out if I didn't believe that kids can change, if I didn't believe that what I do and say matter? The amusing part is it doesn't take much for me to grow the seed of hope in my heart. All I need is a smile, a raised hand, a picked up pencil, a completed assignment. That's all! The rest will come on its own.

And why are others so sure that the miracle will not and cannot happen? Perhaps it is just what they choose to look at and focus upon. They concentrate on the accumulation of days when assignments have been left blank rather than this moment when because a circle of adults showed they cared, it changed. They see the few that have failed rather than the thousands that have thrived.

I am thankful that I do my job within the embrace of hopefulness. On Monday I will again do all in my power to get a smile, a raised hand, a picked up pencil, a completed assignment. I know that it may or may not happen but I also know that it is the possible. That is hope, believing in the possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.