Friday, September 25, 2009

Friday Update

Computer: Today I walked back in my room after Read 180 and discovered that my computer was on. Yahoo! It's back! My new computer is back! I went to check my school mail account to see everything I had missed so far in the day but something was very wrong. The latest mail available was dated August 31st. As I investigated further I discovered that was not my new computer; it was my old computer. Luckily my "savior" helped me solve the mail problem and I slowly adjusted to being grateful for my old friend being back once again.

Student Guidelines for words Ms. Allen doesn't like to read: Please add to the list suck, sucks and sucked. When asked if they knew sucks is a "bad" word they were all stunned beyond comment. I can't wait to have breakfast with my friend, the 5th grade teacher this weekend and ask what in the world is going on in elementary school writing workshop!

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

'Tis true. I have a feeling "sucks" is turning into the new (though opposite) "cool". I have been known, on occasion, to use it while teaching. No one bats an eye. Sorry.

Tere said...

This is interesting; I am fascinated by American English. I used to love saying that it is a "dynamic and ever changing language. As we use words in different ways, over time the meanings are changed. "Sucks" was one of those trigger words for my son. He used it constantly as an adolescent until I made him look it up. He didn't stop using it but he became more aware of what he was saying. After reading your comment, I looked it up and several new definitions have been added over the last 15-20 years! Interesting. But I still have serious doubts whether it should be used in a descriptive paragraph whose only audience is a Language Arts teacher.